Keeping in mind our obligation to honor the moral and legal premise of patient/client autonomy and respect we will explore the key issues surrounding securing informed patient consent for physical therapy. Both professional ethical guidance and legal guidance will be explored. In addition, we will also address the circumstances where challenges exist in communication, understanding and execution of consent and outline solutions to those challenges. Additional focus on the unique and contemporary challenges of proactively avoiding sexual harassment claims by patients and employees.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Understand & Outline 5 risks of NOT securing proper Informed Consent
- Outline the key elements of Informed Consent
- Identify Professional & Legal Standards of Consent
- List 3 – 5 Challenges with securing informed consent and describe ways to overcome each
- Define 3 steps to secure informed consent is secured
- Identify the steps in using the “teach back” method
- Outline how to document informed consent in e valuations, daily progress reports
- Describe current issues of sexual harassment of patients and the Ethical/Legal considerations involved
- Define 5 pro – active strategies for avoiding sexual harassment claims
- Explore Sexual Harassment of therapists by patients
*This course will fulfill the CE requirement for Sexual Harassment Prevention Training, a new requirement for license renewal in Illinois. This new requirement begins with the 2020 license renewal and requires the following content be included:
- What is sexual harassment, including its forms and types.
- What should one do if one experiences or witnesses unwelcome sexual contact.
- Reporting sexual harassment within one’s place of employment and to outside entities, such as the Illinois Department of Human Rights.
- Whistleblower protections.